A [Simple] Reading Challenge
One thing that seminary taught me is that it is possible to read a lot of books. Every semester I'd have an overwhelming stack of books and every semester I'd read them all. I did it because it was required of me. I'd stay up late or wake up early in order to get it done because deadlines and exams loomed.
I told you this would be simple.
2. Track your reading. At the risk of revealing my true nerdiness, I use a spreadsheet for this... But before you write me off, it's helpful for me to keep track of whether or not I'm meeting my goals. It also helps me keep track of the books I've read.
3. Always keep a book with you. A friend of mine gave me this advice and it is sound. You're more likely to read if you have a book with you. That seems fairly obvious. Take a book to work, on vacation, on your weekend away, and basically wherever you go!
7. Mix up your genre. As I write this, I'm mainly concerned about reading books that will enhance our knowledge of and love for the Lord. There are many types of books that will do this: books explaining doctrine and theology, books aimed at giving practical help to Christians, Christian biographies, etc. Mix it up as you go so you're not always reading the same type of book. Additionally, consider mixing in other books about subjects that interest you (world history, economics, science, etc). This might help keep reading fresh.
So, if you're up for it, join the challenge and let's do this!
I don't expect to necessarily maintain a seminary pace of reading, but I'm trying to maintain a steady diet of books. I'd like to also issue a challenge for others to join me in this.
Why a Reading Challenge?
I'm convinced that reading books is healthy. I suppose I could link to studies here, but I'm not sure that's necessary. Most Christians I know agree that they should read, but struggle to do it much for various reasons. So, I'm not going to make the case for why reading is good.
Well, maybe I will. Quickly.
First, as Christians, reading books is a great way to grow in our understanding of God, the Bible, church history, and the world God has made. All of these things can help us ultimately know and love God more as they supplement our reading of Scripture.
First, as Christians, reading books is a great way to grow in our understanding of God, the Bible, church history, and the world God has made. All of these things can help us ultimately know and love God more as they supplement our reading of Scripture.
Second, I once heard someone say, "the godliest people I know are readers." If great and godly men and women of the past (and present) were (and are) readers, that's pretty good reason to read.
Third, reading classic books is a much more productive and helpful way to learn than scouring Twitter, Facebook, and recent blogs. Sometimes the most recent blog post about a subject is not really what we need to read in order to gain a more thorough understanding of that subject. It is often better to pick up a tried and true book on the topic, take some time, and learn about it. Yes, this is antithetical to our "make a judgment this very second" world of social media... but that's a rant for another time. Focus.
What Does this Challenge Entail?
My challenge is very simple and it works for anyone. Here it is: choose a reasonable number of pages to read every week and do it.
I told you this would be simple.
I read about 25-30 pages an hour. That's not very fast. If I'm really enjoying something (or reading something technical), I'm much slower. But, this knowledge gives me an idea of what is a reasonable reading goal for a week. So, if my aim is to read a minimum of 60 pages per week, this would require at least 2 hours for me to accomplish.
To some, 30 pages per week might not seem like much, but that's 1560 pages per year. That's anywhere from 4-7 books. Even 10 pages per week will get you through 2 or 3 books in a year (which is 2 or 3 more than most people). See how easy this is?
Suggestions
Here are several suggestions to help you get started:
1. Start with a book on a subject that interests you. Is there an issue of theology or a question about the Bible that you've been wondering about? Consider starting there. I know those who started reading this way and now find themselves reading books they wouldn't have been interested in even just a few years ago. If you don't know a good book that addresses your interest or question, let me know and I'll try to help you find it!
2. Track your reading. At the risk of revealing my true nerdiness, I use a spreadsheet for this... But before you write me off, it's helpful for me to keep track of whether or not I'm meeting my goals. It also helps me keep track of the books I've read.
3. Always keep a book with you. A friend of mine gave me this advice and it is sound. You're more likely to read if you have a book with you. That seems fairly obvious. Take a book to work, on vacation, on your weekend away, and basically wherever you go!
4. Create time in your schedule to read. Even if it's just a few minutes per day or a couple of 30-minute slots during the week, blocking off time will help you get to it.
5. Consider using audiobooks. Some people learn well through audiobooks. There are many good websites that sell audiobooks including audible.com and christianaudio.com (discernment required, obviously).
6. Put the phone down. I tend to pull out my phone without even thinking about it and I shudder to think of the time I've wasted in so doing. If you also have this issue, consider putting the phone out of sight (and hopefully out of mind) when you're at home. It's amazing how much time this will free up. Consider filling a few minutes of that time with a book.
7. Mix up your genre. As I write this, I'm mainly concerned about reading books that will enhance our knowledge of and love for the Lord. There are many types of books that will do this: books explaining doctrine and theology, books aimed at giving practical help to Christians, Christian biographies, etc. Mix it up as you go so you're not always reading the same type of book. Additionally, consider mixing in other books about subjects that interest you (world history, economics, science, etc). This might help keep reading fresh.
Reading Requires Effort
Nothing worth doing is easy, as they say. For many, reading is hard work. It's much easier to scroll social media and have a bazillion images and thoughts fly across our brains than to pick up and read a book. Likewise, it's much easier to binge watch Netflix than study the attributes of God in a book. Reading is hard work and that's why a simple plan is helpful in getting us started. Let's embrace the challenge of reading and fight against slavery to easy entertainments.So, if you're up for it, join the challenge and let's do this!
