When Opposition Looms

Screenshot of Luke 12:4-12 from esv.org
On December 9th I preached a sermon called, "When Opposition Looms," from Luke 12:4-12. A few days later the story broke about the Chinese pastor, Wang Yi, who was arrested December 9th and has been charged with subverting the government. In addition to him, there have been over 100 members of his church who have been arrested.

In anticipation of such an event, he wrote a piece that was to be published if he was detained longer than 48 hours. In reading it, it seems quite clear that he understands and fully embraces Jesus' words:

"I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell" (Luke 12:4-5, ESV).

I know little about the man, except what the article states. It seems the church is part of the Reformed Presbyterian Churches. It is a remarkable read and worthy of your time. Let us pray for him and the many others behind bars or under threat of it. May they stay faithful while this opposition falls upon them and may the Lord Jesus receive much honour as these folks "testify to earthly, momentary lives about heavenly, eternal life" (as Pastor Yi put it). 

Popular posts from this blog

Calvin on the Parables of the Mustard Seed and Leaven

The Essential Church

The Looming Storm Surrounding Conversion Therapy